Saturday, May 21, 2011

Progress Report #7 : Back to your regularly scheduled programming

Now that I've finished a well deserved break from power painting I can fully get back into the swing off things.
Working without a fixed deadline hanging over my head means I can really concentrate on detail and do some really cool work on some of my more ambitious projects.

Everything that I 'finished' for Astro 2011 is officially back on my painting desk. Everything is getting some touch ups and improvements.

So lets take a look at what I've been working on.



After staring at my chopper for over a month trying to figure out how to paint the upper hull, I finally decided the reason I couldn't figure it out is the upper hull lacked the detail I needed. So after being inspired by a brief glance at a picture of the front of the new battlewagon kit I pulled out a knife, tore the front of the chopper apart and rebuilt it the way you see there. From a distance (where you can't tell that the color scheme is from the different materials rather than paint) it already miles ahead of the old one. I need to add more rivets to the plates on the back and I'll re-prime and paint it. Worthy of note, you can't tell in the photo but the front grill is painted as a checkerboard and some of the rivets have slots carved in them to look like screws. I felt it needed a bit more variety.

I keep touching up Skyboss now and again. He keeps needing just that little bit more to make me satisfied with the result. I added some highlighting to his pants and the tabard, some more metal chipping to break up the plain blue of the detail and some scratches on his axe again because there was too much blue. But alas I feel he still needs more work. I'm too much of a perfectionist it seems.
Here's a brief overview of everything. Still trying to figure out how to finish some of the trukks, but I'm close. I also got some serious inspiration the other day for the balloons, so my prototypes are getting trashed. I wasn't overly happy with them anyway,

No comments:

Post a Comment