Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Army Build: It Begins!

As what normally happens with me I try to plan out a bit of my army before I go until the build phase but it all gets thrown out the window the moment I have a bit of inspiration. ;)

I knew I had to replace all my trukks so I bought a couple of the new Ork trukks a few weeks ago to tinker around. Yes I know I said ages ago that I would never buy the new trukks but that was because I knew that if I bought one I would have to replace them all. Well now that I decided that I have no choice but to replace them all, why not upgrade to the new model? Another of my precious paycheques just handed over to GW, but what the hell!

I was planning on staring at the kits for a while to figure out what cool blimpish conversions I could do but after a 10 minute conversion with Crazy K. I got all inspired and such and voila! the first blimp is roughed out.

I started by building the cab section utilizing some extra armor plates to beef it up. By placing it on the chassis I was able to get a general idea of what the final product looked like and decided the best thing to do was basically build the entire kit backwards. Putting the motor on backwards on the wrong end of the chassis and building the rest of the kit around it making it look reminiscent of a WW2 beach landing craft.

I even managed to nab an old prop from a deff kopta, using one of the kits drive shafts as the prop hub. I wasn't going to use the Tires anyway!
I'm suddenly thinking of channeling Doc Brown "Where we's going we don't needz roadz!"
I've always been disappointed at the fact that my old trukks didn't have engines and props, I had always planned for them to have some but I could never get the right bitz so now is my chance to fix that!

The blimp is a styrofoam standin for now. I much prefer the egg shape for the balloons over the round ones I used before and the plasticard fins really adds to it. I'm trying to develop a process for making the balloon look like brightly colored vinyl when finished but I have yet to find something that works. Luckily I started the project early and I'm in no real rush.

There's plenty more work to do but I'm already really happy with the initial results. No time to waste waiting to figure out the missing details, time to get moving on the next trukk!

No comments:

Post a Comment