Sunday, December 26, 2010

I love it when a plan comes together

Courtesy of Christmas I've had a bit of downtime lately
so I started putting together a new 'armored trukk' from the plans I sketched a couple weeks ago.


The rear will have a raised section for the krew. The Front will have a heavy weapon mount, possibly a Zzap gun, possibly and Kannon I'm not sure which will look cooler yet! I'm trying to sort the engines in my head right now.

It's still early in the building phase but you get the idea. I added the rollbars to keep it consistent with the other trukks


I've built smooth surface Ork vehicles before and was always disappointed with the result so I'm working to improve on that! A couple more body plates to get the general shape together and then I can start adding textured plates, glyphs and other such to give it a nice form.


For those of you you want advise on scratch building your own vehicles I'll leave you with 3 tidbitz.

1. Don't be afraid to rip off pieces when the don't look right or don't fit. Otherwise the it throws the entire fig off. Sometimes pre-made pieces just don't fit, and one side doesn't quite match the other. Adjust and move on.
2. Work from the ground up, get a general shape then worry about the texture and fine details later when the model is easier to work with.
3. Plan ahead, draw a to scale sketch of what you want and work from it. When your trying to figure out how it should look when its coming together you can always go back to the drawing for reference.

And as a bonus bit of advise, take your time. Do a bit each day. These projects for me always end up being like a 'jigsaw from hell' so its best to take your time so you don't get frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment