Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Army Extras

One of the most common questions I get asked about my con is "What are some quick things I can do to get my score up?"

The easiest way is to make some non-playable figs! In addition to boosting your appearance score it will help to add that wow factor to your army and they can help make gameplay alot smoother.

As a couple examples:

Spell Markers
- These figs represent that certain spells or effects are active. I know one player that has figs to represent Guide, Fortune and Doom when cast onto a squad. Even some custom made counters can look really cool with little effort. I like to use a fig as a targeting marker for blast templates, that way I can easily identify what I'm targeting when I have to measure scatter. I've also seen figs to remind players that squads need to take moral tests. You could also make up custom markers to show damage to vehicles or any other status effect that needs to be identified.

Wound Markers
- these are markers to represent that a model has taken a wound. The easiest one I've seen is glass beads representing spirits stone for eldar. I've also heard of players using small gravestones! I've personally been using continual fire dice since their GW issue and useless under the current rules anyway.

Crashed vehicles
- I made up crashed versions of many of my tanks. In addition to looking cool when destroyed they are also practical as unlike my tanks they are designed to have figs piled onto them for cover and make moving figs around them in assaults alot easier. You could also make up a number of small craters to show where vehicles have been annihilated. This is a part of the rules most players ignore, when a vehicle is annihilated the rules state you can replace them with a crater if available. This could give your guys much needed cover, within reason of course.

Tokens
- Like the spell markers above but alot more primitive. These are plastic or card tokens that have status effects written on them in bold text. You can buy the pre-made ones from Gale Force 9 or GW or you can make your own. I made these up in Powerpoint while bored one day. I printed them off on card stock and cut them out individually.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/darkalman/2798260111/

Custom Dice
- Chessex offers a service for making custom dice that's worth checking out. The instructions are on there homepage, all they need is a reasonably clear line drawing to work with to make a custom ingraved die facing. They even have alot of pre-generated 40k symbols already pre-made you just have to ask. Best part you can pick the colors and they cost only double that of a normal dice cube for the same number of dice.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/darkalman/3678790448/

No comments:

Post a Comment