Sunday, December 12, 2010

Basing 101

I had a good talk with some friends this week about basing. My current Orks use a combination of GW issue gravel and brown flock which is pretty basic stuff to be honest.
Since then I've gotten into the habit of painting the gravel as I did on my deffkoptas and my plane and it gives a much better effect. Still I've been looking for ways to up my game.


I picked up some new flight bases for my trukks. I used to cut my own out of plywood (plastic ones aren't big or sturdy enough) but this time I bought pre-routered oval bases at Michaels for $1 each. They're less hassle to work with, fancier looking and they're more in line with 40k style then the rectangular ones I used to use.
Ratboy recomended I use liquitex products. They have a gel product that's impregnated with sand and resin particles that gives a cool sand / gravel effect when dry. He used it on his Eldar and I was impressed with the result. He did an ash world black/grey scheme on his bases so to be different I think I'll stick to my familiar brown earth and sand with Green flock. Either way its worthy of a test fig or two. I also got the idea to use some Epic 40k figs on my flight bases to give the illusion that they're flying high up! I saw it used on a grot bomb diorama in White Dwarf and I loved it so much that I'm going to steal the idea.
I also picked up one of the new Vallejo pigment sets. (who uses GW paint anymore?) I haven't been happy with the ink and drybrush based rust effects I've used in the past and I've heard good things about the pigments so I thought I'd give it a try. The worst comment I heard is that they can look too realistic but again that's what test figs are for.

2 comments:

  1. Funny times - actually I am the one who made that Grot Bomb Diorama - Won me my first Gold Golden Demon Award -It is nice to see that people still remember it :)

    Ill keep checking in.

    James K. Craig

    PS check out my website (www.lostinthewarp.com) for a bit of info on using pigments and if you have any questions dont hesitate to shoot me a message!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a sweet fig :)

    I'm perfectly willing to admit when I stole an idea, since I tend to do that alot. ;) At least I give credit where its due.

    ReplyDelete